Thursday, November 13, 2014

Wednesday night supper!

Good morning everyone!
I usually only share my scrapbooking creations and photos but a good friend of mine - Jo Mason suggested that I should blog about cooking!  
I LOVE TO COOK!
I am actually kind of known for it amongst my friends and family.
Not only do I love to cook, but I love to try new recipes and experiments in the kitchen!
With Tyler being allergic to all nuts and peanuts some recipes have to be altered to make them safe!
My kids being as awesome as they are really enjoy it too!

Wednesday nights is ALWAYS 'new recipe Wednesday'
One week Cody will choose a recipe, the next Ty will and then I will!
Some Wednesdays we are lucky enough to have my closest friend Jill here and once in a while we get a great kid - Sam (Jo's son and Ty's best friend) here. 
Its great that my kids look forward to it and are involved - at the end of the meal we all give our review and say if we want to eat it again or not!

This week I cooked Chili, Lime and Cumin Cod


This is not my photo but from the site where I got the recipe ( www.food.com )  - I will try to remember to take photos next time! 

a couple of tips for buying fish....

* if you are buying a whole fish and the eyes are greyish - it may still be safe to eat
 but it is past its prime
 *If it is shiny and metallic - its good - if it is dull - leave it!
 *Smell it - it should smell like fresh water or 'fishy'  If you go to a fish monger and it smells 'fishy' walk out
 *check the gills - they should be pink or red - not slime and not dry
*When buying fillets (or whole for that matter) The flesh should spring back when pressed
*Fish fillets should display no discoloration, darkening or drying around the edges.


here is the recipe 

  • 2 lbs fresh cod fish fillets
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 lime, juice of

Directions:1


  1. Heat oven to 450°F.
  2. Coat oven safe pan with oil or cooking spray.
  3. Place cod in pan.
  4. Sprinkle chili powder, herb and salt.
  5. Roast 5-7 minutes until opaque.
  6. Melt butter in small saucepan.
  7. Add cumin and lime juice and cook for 1 more minute.
  8. Before serving drizzle butter mixture over cod.
    now for the review;
    It was tasty and had enough of a kick to it to make it interesting and flavorful with still being light!
     This recipe was super simple (which is awesome) and did not dirty my entire kitchen (always a bonus) 
     I had to cook mine a little longer than what 7 minutes - it took 15 minutes to cook


    What I will change for next time

    I will add another lime and a little bit more chili powder
    I am going to try this on the BBQ!
    I am not a huge lover of dried herbs - it was great (I used parsley) but next time I want to try it with fresh cilantro!
    I also served roasted veggies and small red potatoes

    I took a 9x13 pan and put carrots in 1/3 of the pan, then the red potatoes, then green beans
    I drizzled balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and a little bit of butter.  Baked them at 450 for 1 hour.  They were tasty and firm.

    Ok, so thanks for stopping by and if you make this recipe I would love to hear what you think!




No comments: